ACT I
Robbie, this new Walkman is absolutely wonderful. Robbie 这个新随身听真棒。
Richard and Marilyn bought it for me for my birthday. 这是Richard和Mariilyn送给我的生日礼物。
They're so thoughtful. 他们想得真周到。
You are very lucky, Robbie, to have such a nice family. Robbie 你真幸运 有一个这样温馨的家。
Is something wrong, Alexandra? Alexandra 出什么事了
No, nothing. 没有 没什麽。
Yes, there is. 有 有心事
I can tell. 我能觉察到。
What's the matter? 到底发生了什麽事
Come on, you can tell me. 说吧 告诉我。
What's up? 有什麽事
I don't know. 我也说不上来。
Something's wrong. 有点不对劲。
OK, let's talk. 好吧 让我们来谈谈
I received a letter from my parents this morning. 今天早上我收到父母的来信。
Did they write some bad news? 是不是他们写了什麽坏消息
No. 没有。
Well, then why are you so sad? 那 你为什麽如此难过
I miss them. 我想念他们
I miss them very much. 我非常想他们。
I'm sorry, Alexandra.对不起, Alexaandra。
But I understand. 但是我能理解。
The Molinas treat me so nicely, Molina一家人对我很好
and I love being with your family so much ... 我也很喜欢和你的家人在一起 ……
but when I received the letter 但是当我收到那封信
with photographs of my family, I cried. 连同家人照片时 我哭了。
I cried because I miss them all. 我哭 因为我想念他们。
You really miss your family, don't you? 非常想念你的家人,是吗
Yes. I know I must seem silly. 是的 我知道我一定显得很可笑。
It's not like I have nobody. 我身边并非没有朋友。
I like the Molinas very much, 我很喜欢Molina一家
and they're so kind to me. 他们对我真好。
Hey, why don't we go out 嘿 我们何不出去
for a cheeseburger and french fries? 吃奶酪汉堡包和炸薯条
That'll cheer you up. 这样会让 你舒畅些
And you can use my Walkman. 你还可以用我的随身听
That's a good idea. 好主意。
But if we go out, 但是我们出去
please don't complain 你可别老抱怨
about your math teacher or your math homework. 你的数学老师或你的数学作业。
I want to have fun. 我想要快快乐乐的玩玩
So do I. 我也想。
I have to turn off the lights, 我得关掉灯
or else my father will get really angry. 要不然 我爸爸会生气的。
He says I never turn them out when I leave. 他说我离开时总不爱关灯。
If they come home and they're on ... 要是他们回来看见灯还亮着……。
Do you hear something? 听到什麽了吗
Yes. 是的
What was that? 是什麽呢
It sounded like a dog barking. 听起来像狗叫。
It sounded like a dog barking right here. 好像有 狗就在这儿叫。
Yeah. 对。
A dog! 狗
A springer spaniel! 一条长毛垂耳狗
Come on in! 进来吧
Make yourself at home. 像在自已家里一样。
Oh, you poor little thing. 可怜的小东西。
Come here. 过来。
Poor baby. 可怜的小东西。
Where did you come from? 你从哪儿来
Her name's Gemma, 她的名字叫Gemma
and she belongs to Mr. and Mrs. Levinson. 是Levinson夫妇家的狗。
There's a phone number -- 这儿有电话号码
five five five ... eight four four eight. 555 ……8448。
Robbie, maybe you should call them Robbie 或许你应该给他们打个电话
and tell the Levinsons we have their cute little spaniel. 告诉Levinson夫妇 可爱的小垂耳狗在我们这 。
I've always wanted a springer spaniel. 我一直想要一条狗。
She's so cute. 这狗真可爱。
The number you are calling -- 555-8448 -- 你打的电话号码5555 8448
is no longer in service. 是空号。
The number's no longer in service. 这个号码现在是空号
Oh, you poor, poor baby. 呵 这个可怜的小东西
You've lost your family. 你找不到家了。
We'll find them. 我们会找到他们的
Don't worry, Alexandra. 别担心 Alexandraa。
ACT II
Don't worry, Alexandra. 别担心 Alexandraa。
We'll find the owner. 我们会找到狗的主人的
How, Robbie? 怎麽找 Robbie
Let me think. 让我想想。
Gemma, sit. Gemma 坐下
Good Gemma. 乖Gemma。
Give me your paw. 把爪子伸出来
Good Gemma. 好Gemma。
This dog is well trained. 这狗受过很好的训她练。
She likes you, too. 她也很喜欢你 。
So how are we going to find the owners? 那我们如何去找她的主人呢
With a little help from the ASPCA, 可以向ASPCA求救
the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. 就是美国禁止虐待动物协。
They're the ones. 找他们没错。
We once found a cat. 我们有一次发现一只猫
She was caught in the branches of our tree. 被我们家树上的树枝夹住了
And Dad called the ASPCA. 爸爸打电话给ASPCA
They came and solved the problem. 他们来了 也解决了问题。
Robbie, let's call them. Robbie 我们给他们打电话吧。
Let me see -- ASPCA.... 让我瞧瞧 ASPCA
Here it is. 在这
ASPCA Animal Shelter. ASPCA动物收容所
555-7700. 555 7700。
Hello, ASPCA. 喂 这里是ASPCA。
Hello, my name is Robbie Stewart. 喂 我叫Robbie Sttewart
I have a lost dog I'd like to bring to you. 我这儿有一 条丢失的狗 我想送到你们那儿
How late are you open? 你们几点关门
We're open till nine P.M. 我们开到晚上九点
Thank you. 谢谢
I'll bring the dog over by nine. 我在九点之前把狗送去。
Thanks. 谢谢
Bye. 再见。
Thanks. 谢谢
Good-bye. 再见。
They're still open? 他们现在还开着吗
They're open until nine o'clock. 他们开到九点。
We have two and a half hours. 还有两个半小时。
Let's take Gemma by there now. 我们赶紧把Gemma送去吧
They'll find the owner. 他们会找到主人的
I hope so. 希望如此。
I'm so sad to see this little dog without her family. 看到这小狗找不到家 我真难过。
I'm sure they'll find the owner. 我相信他们会找到失主的。
But if they don't, I'll adopt her. 如果找不到 我就收养她 。
She's so cute. 她真逗人喜欢。
Look at those eyes. 你看她的眼睛。
She's hard to resist. 真是人见人爱。
Don't you just love her? 你能说你不喜欢
I'd like to keep her, too. 我也愿意收留 。
But I'll be going home to Greece 但是我就要回希腊 去了
at the end of the semester. 就在这个学期结束档 时候。
She just wants love and affection. 她需要爱和关怀。
Come on, Robbie. 走吧 Robbie。
Let's get her to the animal shelter, 我们该把她送到动物收容所了
so they can find her owners quickly. 好让他们很快找到她的主人。
Don't worry, Gemma. 别担心 Gemma。
We'll get you home. 我们会送 你回家的
It's not easy being away from home. 离开家并不是一件容易事。
Come on, poochie. 来吧 小狗。
Atta girl! 好姑娘
Let's go. 我们走吧。
We're off to the animal shelter. 我们这就去动物收养所。
Your name? 你的名字
Robbie Stewart. Robbie Stewart。
And this is Alexandra Pappas. 这位是Alexandra PPappas。
Your name will do, Mr. Stewart. 你的名字就够了 SStewart先生。
Your address? 你的住址
46 Linden street, Riverdale. Riverdale 林登街街46号
Where did you find the dog? 你在什麽地方发现这只狗的
She found us. 是她发现我们的
You tried calling the number on the collar? 是否照狗脖子上的电话号码打过电话
Yes, but the number's no longer in service. 打过 但那是空号。
And there's no address on the dog tag? 牌子上没有地址
There's no other information. 没有其他资料。
No ID number. 没有身份号码
Without that, it's hard. 没有就难办了。
You will try to find the dog's owner. 你们会尽力去找到失主吗。
Oh, we'll try, believe me. 哦 我们会想办法 相信我。
And if you don't? 要是找不到呢
Yes? 什麽
If you don't ... can I ... can I adopt the dog? 要是你们找不到狗主人 我可否…… 我可否收养这只狗 ?
Why, yes. 当然可以。
If the owners don't claim the dog in forty-eight hours, 如果狗的主人在四十八小时内不认领
then you can apply for adoption. 你就可以申请收养 了。
How do I do that? 我该办什麽手续呢
You really want to? 你真想要这样做
Yes, I'm serious. 是的 我是真心的
If no one comes to claim Gemma, 如果没有人来认领GGemma
I'd like to adopt her. 我愿意收养 。
It's not difficult. 手续并不难。
ACT III
OK. 好吧
If you want to adopt an animal, 如果你想收养动物
first we need to know some references. 首先 我们得先了解一些你的证明人。
References? 证明人
People we know? 是指我们认识的人吗
Friends, teachers.... 朋友 老师……
We need to talk to some people about you. 我们得向这些人谈谈你的情况。
We want to be sure that you're responsible 我们要确定你是负责任的
and that you can take good care of an animal. 而且能够好好照料动物。
Then you have to fill out this form 然後你要填写这份
about your family background. 关於你的家庭背景的表格。
Is that it? 就这些啦
No, there's more. 不 还有。
We need to know about your history with animals. 我们要了解你和动物相处的历史。
Have you ever owned an animal? 你是否曾养过动物
Yes. 是的。
We had a cat when I was eight years old. 我八岁时养过一 只猫
I love cats. 我喜欢猫。
Do you have any animals now? 你现在还养什麽动物吗
Unfortunately, no. 很遗憾 没有。
Anything else? 还有别的事吗
We also like to know 我们还想知道
your reasons for wanting an animal. 你要养动物的原因
Just to hold it and cuddle with it. 只不过想抱着她,抚摸她 。
Just to have as a pet. 只是要养来当宠物
I love animals. 我喜欢动物。
To have a friend -- a pal. 想有一个朋友 一个好朋友。
You know, man's best friend is his dog. 要知道 人类最好的朋友就是狗。
And one thing more. 还有一件事。
If you're under twenty-one years of age ... 如果你还不到二十一周岁……
That's me. 我还不到 。
Then an adult must sign for you. 那就必须有一位成年人来替你签字。
Uh-oh. 啊哈。
No problem. 没问题。
My parents will think it's a good idea. 我父母会觉得这是个好主意。
I'll be back with them. 我会带他们来。
If the real owners don't come to claim Gemma ... 如果狗的主人没认领emma……
After forty-eight hours. 要四十八小时後。
But please call first. 不过 请你先打电话来
Thanks for your information and for being so helpful. 谢谢你提供的信息,这么肯
帮忙
It's my pleasure. 我很愿意效劳。
Nice talking to both of you. 很高兴与两位交谈
Thanks again. 再次谢谢 。
Bye. 再见。
Maybe the real owners will come to claim her. 也许狗的主人会来认领的。
Her eyes look so sad. 她的目光看上去很忧郁
She must really miss them. 她准是很想主人。
I see you're both animal lovers. 我看得出你们都很喜欢动物。
We are. 的确如此。
Good-bye, Miss Aborn. 再见 Aborn小姐。
We'll call in a couple of days.过两天我们会打电话的。
Good-bye, and thanks for bringing Gemma in. 再见 谢谢你们把GGemma送来。
Bye. 再见。
I keep thinking about the dog -- about Gemma, 我一直在想那条狗 Gemma
alone in the animal shelter. 独自在动物收容所 。
I know. 我知道。
But I promise you, Alexandra, 但我向你保证
the dog is just fine. 狗会很好的。
They're very kind to the animals. 他们照料动物都很好
I know they are. 我知道他们会。
I mean about her being alone. 我是指她很孤单。
Even if they are kind to Gemma, 即使他们对Gemma好
she's still alone, without her family. 仍是很孤单,不能和家人在一起。
Ready, folks? 可以点菜了吗
Are you ready, Alexandra? 你看好了吗 Alexaandra
Yes, I'm ready. 是的 我看好了。
I'll have the chef's salad, please. 我要主厨沙拉。
I will have a cheeseburger, medium rare, 我要一份奶酪汉堡包,做的嫩些
with raw onion, and french fries, please. 加点生洋葱,并来些法国炸薯条
Anything to drink? 要喝点什麽吗
A diet cola, please. 一杯不含糖的可乐。
Ginger ale with lots of ice for me, thank you. 经我来一杯多加冰块汽水 谢谢。
I've got it. 我都记下了。
Thanks. 谢谢。
Aren't you surprised 不觉得很吃惊吗
that the animal shelter is so careful 动物收容所如此尽心
about finding homes for the animals? 为动物寻个家。
No, I'm not. 不 我不觉得。
And a cheeseburger, medium rare, 一份奶酪汉堡包 偏嫩的
with onion and french fries. 附加洋葱和炸薯条
And a ginger ale with lots of ice. 一杯加很多冰块的汽水
Salad dressing? 要沙拉酱吗
Hey, I wanted you to hear my new sound system 嘿 我正想让你听听我的新音响
when the dog scratched on the front door. 当那狗在抓前门时
Let's finish eating, 我们吃完后
and then we'll go back to my house. 然後回到我家。
I want you to hear my new tapes. 我给 你听我的新磁带。
I've got some great new dance music. 我有几卷很好的新午曲磁带。
Hello. 你好。
Stewart residence. Stewart家。
Hello. 你好。
Is Robbie Stewart there? Robbie Stewart在家吗
This is he. 我就是。
Who's this? 你是谁
This is Linda Aborn from the animal shelter. 我是动物收容所的LLinda Aborn。
It's Linda from the animal shelter. 我是动物收容所的Linnda。
Yes, Linda. 是的 Linda。
Hi. 嗨。
We have good news and bad news, Robbie. 我给你带来好消息 也有坏消息 Robbie。
Oh? 噢
The good news is that the Levinsons have come by 好消息是Levinson夫妇已来这儿
to pick up the dog. 把狗领回去了。
The bad news is, you won't be able to adopt the dog. 坏消息是 你不能收养那狗了。
That's OK. 没关系 。
Come by one day and look at some of the other dogs. 你哪天来看看其他狗。
I'm sure there's one for you. 我相信会有你喜欢要的
Thanks, Robbie. 谢谢 Robbie。
And the Levinsons thank you for bringing their dog to us. Levinson夫妇也谢谢
你们把他们的狗送来。
Thanks, Linda. 谢谢 Linda。
Bye. 再见。
The owners claimed Gemma? 失主来认领 Gemma了
That's right. 对的。
I'm glad for the dog. 我真替狗高兴
I guess I am, too. 我想我也一样。
She said if I come by, 她说如果我要去
she'll help me find another dog. 她会帮我找到另一只狗。
Come on. 来吧
Let's dance. 让我们跳舞吧。
