ACT
I Marilyn, you want coffee or tea? Marilyn 你要咖啡还是要茶
Coffee, please. 请来点咖啡。
I am so excited! 我感到好兴奋
At this time tomorrow morning, 明早这时候
Grandpa will be sitting in the kitchen with us. 爷爷就和我们一块坐在厨房里啦。
When does he arrive? 他什麽时候到
At six o'clock this evening. 今晚六点。
By plane? 坐飞机来
No, by train. 不 坐火车。
Are we picking him up at the station? 我们要去车站接他吗
Not Grandpa. 爷爷不让
He doesn't want anybody picking him up. 他不愿意让任何人接他
He likes to be independent. 他喜欢靠自已
Huh. 哦。
Oh, let's go upstairs and prepare Grandpa's room. 让我们上楼收拾爷爷的房间吧。
Great! Let's do it! 好 我们去收拾吧
Good morning, Mom. 早上好 妈妈。
Morning. 早上好。
Well, hi, fellas. 嗯,好,孩子们。
Hello. 你好 。
Hi, honey. 嗨 亲爱的。
Morning, Marilyn. 早上好 Marilynn。
We are going upstairs to set up Grandpa's room. 我们正要上楼收适一下爷爷的房间
There's coffee ready. 咖啡准备好了
I'm really excited about seeing Grandpa. 就要见到爷爷了,我真的很兴奋。
Me, too. Milk, please. 我也一样。请递给我牛奶。
He's so funny. 他很逗趣
He always makes me laugh. 他总是让我笑
I hope Grandpa's going to like living with us. 我希望爷爷喜欢和我们住在一起。
I think he will. 我想会的。
It just takes time to feel comfortable in a new place. 总是需要一段时间才能适应一个新的环境。
Won't he miss being in Florida? 他还会想念佛罗里达的生活吗
Well, he will. 他会的。
But I think he'll like being here with the family. 但我想他也喜欢和家人住在这儿
Are you sure about that? 你真的这麽想
It's crazy here most of the time. 这儿经常闹哄哄的
But it's fun. 但很有趣。
That's for sure. 说的也是。
You know, 我知道吧
maybe I'll put together some photos of Grandpa 或许我可以把爷爷一些照片组合起来
as a "welcome" present. 作成一个欢迎字样的礼物。
That's a neat idea. 这是个好主意
What can I do? 那我能做点什么
I've got it! 有啦
I have a picture of Grandpa and Dad and me in my wallet. 我皮夹里有一张爷爷 爸爸和我一起合影的照片。
It's from the Fathers and Sons' Breakfast 那是在父子早餐上拍的
at my junior high school graduation. 在我初中毕业的时候。
Oh, I remember this picture. 噢 我记得这张照片。
I'd really like to pick up Grandpa at the railroad station. 我真想去火车站接爷爷。
Railroad stations or airports-- 车站也好机场也好
Grandpa always tells us he'll get here by himself. 爷爷总是说他会自个儿来 。
He's something! 他真了不起
Is this all Grandpa's stuff? 那就是爷爷的全部东西吗
That's it. 是的。
But I'm sure he has a few bags with him on the train. 不过我想他随身还有几个包。
What's inside? 里面是什麽
I don't know. It's locked. 不知道 锁着呢
Hi. 嗨
Oh, hi, darling. 哦 亲爱的。
Morning, Philip. 早上好 Philip
I want to put some of my good hangers in Grandpa's closet. 我想在爷爷的衣橱放几个好的衣架。
You know I'm very excited about his arrival. 你们知道我对他的到来是多麽兴奋。
We are, too. 我们也很兴奋
Susan called early this morning. Susan一大早就打电话来
She's unhappy 她很不高兴
because she's had to go to Chicago on a business trip 因为她要到芝加哥出差
and can't leave till tonight. 要到晚上才能离开那里。
She wants to be here for Grandpa. 她真希望在此欢迎爷爷。
Well, Grandpa will be disappointed, too. 爷爷也会感到失望。
He loves Susan. 他喜欢Susan。
She always reminds him of Grandma. Susan总是让他想起奶奶
Well, how's everything here? 唔 东西都收适 好了吗
Fine. We were just wondering about this trunk. 好啦。我们正纳闷这箱子里是什么。
It's locked. 它锁著。
Oh. I have the key. Grandpa sent it to me. 啊。我有钥匙 。爷爷把它寄给了我。
ACT II
Excuse me. Is this seat taken? 对不起 请问这个座位有人吗
No, it's not taken. 没有 没人坐
Oh, thank you. 啊 谢谢
Oh, let me help you with this. 让我来帮你一下
Oh, thank you. 谢谢你。
Do you want to sit by the window? 想靠窗坐吗
No, no, no. I like the aisle seat better. 不 不 不。我喜欢靠过道坐。
Please, you sit by the window. 你请靠窗坐吧。
My name is Stewart... Malcolm Stewart. 我叫Stewart………Malcolm Stewart
Pleased to meet you. 很高兴认识你
I'm Elsa Tobin. How do you do? 我叫Elsa Tobiin 你好。
Do you live in New York? 住在纽约吗
No, no. I'm from Florida. 不 我从佛罗 里达来的。
I am, too. But didn't you just get on? 我也是。不过你不是刚上车的吗
No, no. I just changed my seat. 不 不。我刚换了一下座位。
A man next to me was smoking, 坐我旁边的那个男人抽烟
and smoke really bothers me. 我受不了。
Where are you from in Florida? 你从佛罗里达的什麽地方来
Titusville. It's near Orlando. Titusville rlando附近。
Small world. I'm from Titusville, too. 世界真小。我也是从itusville来的。
Really? What part? 真的? 具体在什麽地方
My husband and I live near Spaceport. 我和我丈夫住在paceport附近。
I know that area. 我知道那地方
My house is only a few miles from Spaceport. 我的家离Spaceeport只有几哩路。
Do you still live there? 还住在那儿
Oh yes, yes. My husband's there now. 啊 对 对。我丈夫现在就在那儿。
He couldn't take time off to come to New York with me. 他走不开 没法和我一 来纽约。
Do you still live there? 你现在还住那儿吗
No. I sold the house and the furniture, 不。我把房子和家具都卖了
put a few personal things in an old trunk, 剩下一些东西装进一个旧箱子里
and shipped it to my children in New York. 寄给了住在纽约的孩子们。
That's my destination. 那是我要去的地方。
Are you married? 你结婚了吗
My wife died four years ago. 我妻子四年前去世了。
She was a wonderful woman. A real friend. 她是个很好的女人,一个真正的朋友。
I'm sorry. Really, I'm sorry. 我很难过 真的我很难过。
Lots of wonderful memories. 留下的是许多美好的回忆。
We were married almost fifty years. 我们结婚将近十年。
Well, forty-seven, to be exact. 准确点说 四十七年。
John and I celebrate our fortieth anniversary next month. 下个月John和我就要庆祝我们结婚四十周年。
Oh, congratulations! That's nice. 啊 恭喜你们 太好了。
What does John do? John现在做什么的
He's an aerospace engineer 他是航空工程师
and works for Orlando Aircraft Corporation. 在Orlando飞机制造公司工作
He started with them almost forty years ago. 他在那 做了近 四十年了。
What do you do? 你现在做什麽工作
I just retired. Had my own company. 我刚退休。我有自已的公司
A construction company. Roads, bridges, big stuff. 一家建筑公司 修路 筑桥 都是大工程。
But I just sold it and retired. 不过我刚把公司卖掉,退休了。
Excuse me, ma'am. Ticket, please. 对不起 太太 请出示车票。
Would you kindly hold these keys, please? 请帮我拿一下钥匙好吗
I have a ticket, I know. 我知道我有车票的
I was in the smoking section. 我原本坐在吸烟车厢的。
It's OK, lady. Take your time. 好的太太 别着急。
I'm sure it's in your purse, Mrs. Tobin. 肯定在你的钱包里 Tobin太太。
Oh, here it is. 哦 在这 。
And here are your keys. 给你的钥匙。
Thank you. 谢谢。
Do you have family in New York? 你在纽约有亲人吗
No, no. But I do have very close friends in New York City. 没有。不过我在纽约
有非常要好的朋友。
We like to go to the theater together. 我们常一起去看戏。
You said you have family in New York. 你说你有亲人在纽约。
Yes, indeed. 对 没错。
A son and his wife and their three children--儿子 儿媳以及他们的三个孩子
my grandchildren. 我的孙子
You must be excited. 您一定很兴奋
I can't wait, to see them! 我恨不得马上见到他们。
Are you going to live with them? 您打算和他们一块住吗
Yes. 对。
Permanently? 一直住下去
Well... they want me to, 这……他们希望这样。
but it's too early to know for sure. 但我现在还不那么肯定。
I'm pretty independent. 我很独立的。
I tried to teach my kids the importance of independence, 我教孩子们认识到独立的重要。
but I'm not sure I want to be alone. 但我不知道我是否想一个人生活。
Some people don't mind being alone. I do. 有些人不在乎一人独住。 我在乎
I understand. But tell me. 我能理解。不过请告诉我
Why did you stop working? 你为什麽不工作了
I retired because... I wanted to be with my family. 我退休是因为…我想和家人
在一起。
I didn't want to be alone anymore! 我再不想一个人过了。
ACT III
Ladies and gentlemen, 女士们,先生们
Amtrak is happy to announce our arrival in New York City. 美国火车公司高兴地
宣布本次列车已到达纽约了。
The train will be stopping in five minutes. 列车五分种後进站
Please check to be sure you have your belongings. 请检查您的行李物品确保带好。
And have a good stay in the Big Apple. 祝纽约之行愉快。
Thank you. 谢谢。
Well, here we are. 好了 我们到了
It was so nice meeting you, Mr. Stewart. 很高兴遇见你 Stewart先生。
And nice meeting you, too, Mrs. Tobin. 我也很高兴认识你 Tobin太太。
Please look us up. 请到我们家来看看
We're in the phone book. 我们家的电话可以在电话簿上查到。
Dr. Philip Stewart, in Riverdale. 查Riverdale 的 Philip Stewarrt大夫
Your son? 你的儿子
That's right. And have a good time in New York. 对。祝在纽约玩得愉快。
And don't be so independent. 不要太独立呀
You're very lucky to have a caring family. 你很幸运有一个 温馨的家庭。
When can we go fishing? 我们什麽时候去钓鱼
Robbie, we'll go fishing soon, Robbie我们很快就会去。
and we'll take your dad with us. 把你爸爸也带去。
I'm ready, Grandpa. You name the day. 我准备好啦 爷爷。哪一天随你挑吧。
That's a great idea, Grandpa! 真是好主意 爷爷
Philip needs a day off. Philip需要休息一天。
Let's give him our presents--now. 现在让我们把礼物送给他。
Good idea. 好主意。
Presents--for me? 礼物 给我的
From me and Marilyn. Marilyn和我送的
And this one's from me. 这张是我送的
I looked all over the house to find it. 我找遍了整间屋子才找到的。
Richard, these are terrific pictures. Richard这些照片真棒
This one really brings back memories. 这一张的确唤起了许多的回忆。
You remember that day, Robbie? 你还记得那一天吗 Robbie
I sure do. It was fun. 当然。可好玩了。
Oh, I'm sorry Susan isn't here. 啊 可惜Susann不在。
I miss her very much. 我非常想她。
She feels bad, too, Grandpa. 她也遗憾,爷爷。
She called to say the plane was delayed. 她打电话回来 告诉我们飞机误点。
You know airports. 机场的事你是知道的。
I can't wait to see her. 我真想快点见到她
She looks just like Grandma at that age. 她和她奶奶当年长得一模一样。
I'd better unpack. 我还是先把行李打开吧。
I started traveling twenty-four hours ago. 我是二十四小时以前开始旅行的。
I'm not so young anymore. 我不再那麽年轻了。
Don't you want something to eat? 您想吃点什麽
No, thanks. 不用了 谢谢
After a good night's sleep, I'll enjoy breakfast even more. 好好睡一夜后早餐会更香。
Well, come on, Dad. 好 来吧 爸爸
Ellen and I'll take you to your room. Ellen和我带你去你房间
I'm sure glad you're here, Grandpa. 您来了我确实很高兴 爷爷。
Good night, Grandpa. 晚安 爷爷。
Pleasant dreams. 祝你有个好梦
Philip, do you have the key to the trunk? Philip 你拿着箱子的钥匙吗
I have the key, but it doesn't work. 我有钥匙 但打不开箱子。
I sent the wrong key. 我寄错了钥匙
I have something for you. I made it myself. 我有件东西送给你 是我亲手做的。
I think you'll enjoy it. 我想你们会喜欢的。
I researched it for over a year. 我研究了一年多
It's our family tree. 这是我们的家谱
Oh, Grandpa! How exciting! 啊 爷爷 真棒。
Fabulous! 太好了。
Why, I didn't know that your grandfather was born in Germany. 你看 我还不知道您的爷爷出生在德国。
Lots of interesting information about our family. 有不少有关我们家族的有趣东西
A gift from me. 这是我送的一份礼。
Thank you so much. 太感谢你了。
Grandpa! Grandpa! 爷爷 爷爷
Oh, Grandpa, I'm so happy to see you! 啊 爷爷 见到您我真高兴。
Oh, you look so beautiful, Susan. My granddaughter. 啊 真漂亮 Susan 我的孙女。
Like I always said, you look just like Grandma. 就像我说的那样,你和奶奶长得一
模一样。
I think you're going to be very happy here with us. 我想你在这儿和我们在一起会
很愉快的。
I know you will. 我想你会的。
I don't feel alone anymore. 我再也不感到狐单了。
